Pulse Commerce allows five options for managing your SKU's backorder settings, found under Products > Product Catalog > Edit > Simple tab:
- Allow backorder without any message (default)
This option allows customers to purchase the item and will not let them know that the SKU is out-of-stock. Note that you must have inventory to ship the SKU after the order is placed.
- Allow backorder but display out-of-stock message
This option will allow the customer to add the SKU to the cart, but will also display your out-of-stock image. Note that you must have inventory to ship the SKU after the order is placed.
- Disallow backorder and display out-of-stock image
This option will not allow the customer to add the SKU to cart if out of inventory and will display your out-of-stock image.
- Disallow backorder and hide from navigation and search
This option will prevent the SKU from being added to cart if out of inventory and will prevent the SKU from being accessed via navigation and search.
- Hide product and disallow backorder
This option hides the SKU completely and prevents access to the product page when the SKU is out-of-stock.
All these options are also changeable in bulk via Import/Export.