Assembly product is a group of components/ products. This item type is used in manufacturing industries where the product is built from multiple components.
For example, a merchant wants to sell a computer. He already has a monitor, keyboard, motherboard, RAM, SMPS, DVD drive, etc. He can create an assembly with the name Dell Computer E7150. Then add all these above items as components of the product.
An Assembly product involves two main steps: creating an assembly product and then creating a work order for it.
Create an Assembly Product:
- Go to Products > Product Catalog Manager > Product Editor.
- Enter valid information for the required fields like SKU, Product name, Category etc.
- For Product Type select option Assembly Item.
- Once an item is created with this product type, it will allow adding components to it.
Create a work order for Assembly Item:
- Go to Products > Inventory > Build Assembly Work Order.
- Select an Assembly Item and specify the quantity to build. Additionally, it is possible to enter an expected date, alternate id and unit cost for the assembly.
- Once the work order is created, the inventory of the components is adjusted (negative adjustment).
- Once the assembly work order is received inventory of the assembly is increased as per the work order.
- Once the assembly is built, it is just like normal inventory item it can be added to a sales order and fulfilled.
Note: When creating the working order, the system reduces the inventory of the components so the components need to be in stock to build a work order.
Products > Inventory > Search Assembly Work Orders: allows the merchant to search the Assembly Item. The merchant can see all the available assemblies and can be edited or received.